POSITION: Vote PopUp Coordinator – BC Provincial Election Pilot 2017
LOCATION: Vancouver, British Columbia
REPORTS TO: Manager of Outreach
ORGANIZATION WEBSITE: www.samaracanada.com
DATE: February 15, 2017
DEADLINE: February 23, 2017
CONTRACT DATES: March 20 – May 26, 2017
Samara Canada is dedicated to reconnecting citizens to politics. Samara is Canada’s most trusted, non-partisan champion of increased civic engagement and a more positive public life.
Samara Canada’s research and educational programming shines new light on Canada’s democratic system and encourages greater political participation across the country, to build better politics, and a better Canada, for everyone.
To accomplish our goal of putting democracy on the public agenda, Samara writes provocative and often-cited, reports; holds public events and Twitter chats; and speaks to media, academics and non-profits leaders. We also put our research to work in the community by giving community organizations, educators and civic leaders the tools to encourage and inspire democratic engagement.
More information on Samara’s activities and biographies of their founders and staff are available at www.samaracanada.com. Follow us on Twitter at @samaracda.
About Vote PopUp
Samara Canada first developed Vote PopUp during the 2015 federal election as an easy-to-use toolkit for civic leaders and non-partisan community based organizations to engage their communities in the electoral process. It demystifies the voting process and connects voters’ concerns to the election. Vote PopUps accomplish this by creating a simulated polling place complete with ballot boxes and voting screens, inviting participants to vote on issues that matter to them and finally asking participants why they think voting is important.
Samara is partnering with Election BC to pilot the initiative during the provincial election scheduled for May 9th, 2015. In addition to promoting and distributing the toolkit, Samara is offering training, organizing volunteers and providing logistical support to community organizations to support the implementation of Vote PopUp in the Metro Vancouver area.
- Offering logistical support for community organizations that are implementing Vote PopUps;
- Conducting Vote PopUps in public spaces (i.e. libraries, community events);
- Assisting in recruitment, training and management of volunteers to implement Vote PopUp;
- Tracking, documenting and reporting on Vote PopUp activities;
- Documenting and promoting Vote PopUp through social media.
- Working with and training volunteers;
- Engaging community members with diverse backgrounds and experiences;
- Managing and reporting on multifaceted projects.
- Independent and reliable self-starter;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Proficient use of social media to support public engagement a plus.
Start date: March 20, 2017
End date: May 26, 2017
Hours: Flexible daytime hours required, with occasional evenings and weekends.
Location: The contract covers the Metro Vancouver area and the coordinator will be required to attend and support Vote PopUp activities throughout Metro Vancouver. Reasonable travel costs will be reimbursed.
Contract is for up to 120 hours at $20 per hour.
Submit a cover letter and resume to John Beebe ([email protected]) by end of day Thursday, February 23rd.
View job listing as a PDF document.